NUIST-WMO Fellowships Education Program is a full scholarship program co-established by World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology (NUIST) to encourage outstanding youth in developing countries to study and conduct research at NUIST in meteorological fields of master’s and doctoral levels.
I Supporting Categories, Duration, Instruction Language and Majors
1. Supporting Category
This program supports 10 graduate students every year.
It supports master students for 2 academic years or doctoral students for 3 academic years.
3. Instruction Language
Master students can apply for the major of Applied Meteorology.
Doctoral students can apply for any major offered by NUIST.
II Scholarship Coverage
The scholarship covers a tuition waiver, accommodation, stipend, comprehensive medical insurance and a round-trip ticket. The stipend is CNY 2,000 per month. Students registering on or before the 15th of the month will receive a full stipend of that month. Those who register after the 15th of the month will receive a half stipend of that month. Graduating students will receive stipend until half month after the graduation date. If registered student stays out of China for more than 15 days due to a personal reason (school holidays excluded), his stipend will be stopped during his leaving.
III Where and When to Apply
Where to Apply
You should apply to WMO Secretariat.
When to Apply
You need to apply from early January to end of February. Please consult the WMO Secretariat for the specific deadline of each year.
1. Applicants must be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, be friendly to China and in good health.
2. Applicants must abide by the laws and decrees of the Chinese government and meet the requirements of admission to NUIST.
3. Applicants should have an active learning attitude and a competitive academic record.
4. The requirements for applicants’ degree and age are that applicants must:
-be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 36 when applying for the master’s programs;
-be a master’s degree holder under the age of 41 when applying for the doctoral programs.
5. Applicants shall not be beneficiaries of any other scholarships of Chinese government at the time of application.
V Application Procedure
Step 1 – Get nomination from the Permanent Representative of the country with WMO.
Step 2 – Apply to WMO Secretariat with completed Fellowship Nomination Form （FNF）for scholarship opportunity.
Step 3 – Apply to NUIST for the Pre-admission Letter once recommended by WMO Secretariat as an eligible candidate.
Step 4 - Submit all the application documents to WMO Secretariat before the deadline.
VI Application Documents
1. Application Form for NUIST-WMO Fellowships Education Program;
It can be downloaded from the “Admission” part on the website: http://www.globenuist.cn
2. The copy of passport photo page;
3. Highest degree certificate;
Prospective degree recipients shall provide an official pre-graduation certificate showing their student status and stating expected graduation date and later submit the degree certificate to NUIST after admission. Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Academic transcripts;
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
5. Two recommendation letters;
Applicants for the graduate programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by a professor or an associate professor. Professors’ signature, contact phone number and email address must be put on the letter.
6. Applicants for doctoral programs must submit an acceptance letter signed by doctoral supervisor from NUIST;
The acceptance form can be downloaded from the “Admission” part on the website: http://www.globenuist.cn
7. A research proposal with a minimum of 800 words;
8. Published academic papers or other academic achievements (if any);
9. The copy of English proficiency certificate (only for applicants from non-English speaking countries) ;
TOEFL 80 or above/ IELTS 6 or above, or other official English proficiency certificates acceptable.
10. The copy of Pre-admission Letter from NUIST;
11. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy);
The physical examinations must cover all of the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid. Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
The form can be downloaded from the “Admission” part on the website: http://www.globenuist.cn
12. Other supporting materials (if available, such as certificates of awards and training, etc.).
All documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of above.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
No application documents will be returned.
VII Scholarship Confirmation
1. Application documents of candidates will be considered by WMO for eligibility and qualification, and qualified applications will be sent to NUIST.
2. NUIST will review application documents and admit qualified applicants. Based on the university’s teaching capacity and applicants’ criteria, NUIST reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to the field of study.
3. NUIST will send the admission documents (List of Scholarship Recipients, Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China) to WMO Secretariat before July 1. WMO Secretariat will send the admission documents to the scholarship recipients.
4. Scholarship recipients shall not change their field of study or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
5. Scholarship recipients shall attend the annual review according to NUIST’s Measures on Annual Review of Government Scholarships.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship recipient cannot register before the registration deadline.
VIII Contact Information of WMO Secretariat
Education and Fellowships Division
Development and Regional Activities Department
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Address: 7 bis, Avenue de la Paix, Case postale 2300, CH 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland.
Tel: +41 22 730 8156
Fax: +41 22 730 8181
IX Contact Information of NUIST
Admission Office, College of International Students
Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology, CHINA
Address: 219 Ningliu Road, Nanjing, Jiangsu Province, P.R.C., 210044